Summary and information from our event, ‘Women’s Voice Matter’ with the ACLU and NARAL
Thank you to all of you who came to our event Thursday!
Even if you couldn’t make it, this follow-up information is important.
Follow-up and Summary:
We began the evening with a one-hour opportunity to meet some of the candidates who are running for state and county offices representing Cape Cod. Our incumbents were in formal session and could not break away.
- To see our current legislators endorsements/grades on women see this page on our website.
- To see our current legislators endorsements/grades on guns see this page on our website.
These are the candidates who attended our event:
- Ron Bergstrom is running against Leo Cakounes for Barnstable County Commissioner. Having him on the Commission would be so important since Ron Beaty is there for two more years. Bergstrom is currently on the County Assembly and is knowledgeable about county government. One issue that is important, Cakounes supports the Barnstable County Sheriff becoming an arm of ICE, Bergstrom does not. He needs to raise money to run a strong campaign against Cakounes – his website: votebergstrom.org
- Jack Stanton is challenging Randy Hunt (Randy Hunt is endorsed by MA Citizens for Life!) Jack’s website is here: https://www.electjackstanton.org/ and you can find him on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/Jack4StateRep/
- Paul Cusack is challenging Will Crocker who hasn’t even finished his first term and gets low grades from Planned Parenthood! – find Paul’s Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Paul-Cusack-586854171690127/
- Julian Cyr sent a representative. Website: https://www.senatorcyr.com/ Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Julian.S.Cyr/
- Sarah Peake was working for us. Website: https://www.sarahpeake.net/ Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sarah.peake.37
- Dylan Fernandes was working for us. Website: http://www.dylanfernandes.com/ Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RepDylanFernandes/
We also had representatives from:
- Mom’s Demand Action (Cape Cod)
- Indivisible Outer Cape: https://indivisibleoutercape.org
- Cape Cod Safe Communities Coalition: https://www.facebook.com/CapeCodCoalitionForSafeCommunities/
- Heath Imperatives Cape Cod aka Hyannis Family Planning Clinic – this group needs our help to secure the funding they need to operate. Their patients rely on the clinic for healthy pregnancies, contraception, domestic violence issues, LGBTQ healthcare issues, HIV prophylactics and more – YOU CAN HELP WITH A QUICK AND EASY EMAIL see this call to action here: CALL TO ACTION: Help our only local family planning clinic get the funding they need from the state! Will you make a call or send an email? Your voice matters!
Both of our speakers were energetic and informative. Both talked about how important it is to contact our elected officials. They work for us and they need us to tell them what issues we, as individuals, support. They also encouraged any of us who are passionate about issues to run for office and, or support those who run for office against any legislator who is not actually representing us. None of these incumbents should be without a challenger.
Whitney Taylor, Political Director of the ACLU MA
- Spoke to us about the ACLU project about local District Attorneys (her project) What a Difference a DA Makes and told us that too often DA’s go unchallenged in elections. This year, however, more DAs are challenged than are not. Ours? He is not being challenged this election.
- Spoke about immigration and how important a budget amendment that has to be voted this week to protect immigrants in MA from several local Sheriffs’ plans to accept federal money to become an arm of ICE. We have a Call to Action with all information you need to contact your rep and ask him/her to support this ammendment here. Will you make a call or send an email? Your voice matters!
Gena Frank NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts’ Legislative and Political Director
- Reminded us that we are still fighting for our right to choose here in MA. There are laws on the books in MA that forbid abortions that are simply superseded by the Supreme Court decision, Roe v. Wade. It is one of the laws that we are still advocating to change this year – suppose the SJC overturns Roe? – the MA house has until the end of July to vote on this. This is a pdf that explains it and this is where you can find more info on their website. After we are finished advocating for budget items this week, we will do a major push about this law.
- Talked about the fake abortion clinics-crisis pregnancy clinics – some here on Cape Cod, that have no medical certifications or intentions, they just want to talk women out of abortions. There are no actual abortion clinics on Cape Cod.
- Talked about the lack of a standard curriculum for sex-ed in MA and a proposed law that will establish a curriculum for schools that decide to teach sex-ed. We have been advocating for that bill which has to be voted by JULY 31: https://capecodwomenforchange.com/2018/04/23/call-or-email-your-state-rep-lets-get-the-healthy-youth-bill-passed/
BALLOT QUESTION ALERT: Both women also talked about the ballot question that would reverse the bill passed last year designed to protect the rights of transgender people. It is worded in a way that is confusing and could take these rights away. Vote YES to uphold the law that would protect transgender people in MA. This group is advocating to keep these rights: https://www.freedommassachusetts.org/
Other information discussed:
- An excellent New Yorker article about Sheriff’s in this country: The Renegade Sheriffs, A law-enforcement movement that claims to answer only to the Constitution. (if you hit a pay-wall -aka they tell you you have to subscribe, send an email by responding to this message and we will get you a copy)
- A piece on the Last Week Tonight show with Jon Oliver about FAKE (Crisis) ABORTION clinics -stay with it, it starts off on something else but gets into this subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NNpkv3Us1I
THIS SATURDAY, JUNE 30, PLEASE JOIN US FOR PROTESTS AGAINST TRUMP’S IMMIGRATION POLICY!
(If you see errors or omissions please contact CapeCodWomenforChange@gmail.com)
Sign up to receive posts by email with the link in the right column.